How Long Does Mold Removal Take?
Discovering mold in your home or business can be extremely alarming. Everything from health and safety concerns to expense and time worries crowds your mind. You are probably asking yourself a lot of questions such as, are there any companies that provide mold remediation services near me? And how long will it take to get this mold taken care of so I can get back into my house or business?
The answer to the first question is easy: Yes! SERVPRO of Coeur d’Alene has experience remediating all sorts of building disasters, including mold infestation. The second question, however, is a little more complicated to answer, because each scenario is different, with different levels of severity when it comes to mold. But a good ballpark answer is: usually, the mold remediation process lasts between one and five days. Why so long? Well, there is a lot more involved in mold clean-up than spraying and wiping.
What Causes Mold to Grow?
Mold spores are everywhere, on surfaces, in the air, inside, and outside. They are microscopic and can float into your house on a breeze or come running in on your dog’s fur, and your HVAC system can blow mold spores all over your house. You cannot completely eliminate mold from the air or your house, so the goal is not to eliminate all mold, but to not let mold colonies develop and take hold.
A mold colony can develop in as little as 24-48 hours once spores are introduced to moisture. As the spores enter your home, they will cling to high-humidity areas. The most common sources of mold colony growth are:
- Leaking Pipes
- Areas with high levels of humidity (think: bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry rooms);
- Lack of or inadequate ventilation
- A leaking roof or ceiling
- A damp basement or crawl space
- Recent home flooding or storm damage
Signs Mold Is Present
Sometimes mold grows in visible areas making it easy to spot: a dark or black splotch or spots on the wall. Other times, it lives inside your walls, spreading quickly. While only a trained specialist can conclusively identify mold, there are tell-tale signs to look for if you suspect mold in your home or business:
- Musty odors
- Unexplained spots on carpeting
- Peeling or bubbling wallpaper
- Persistent allergy symptoms or other unexplained health problems
- Dark or colored spots on walls
- Warped wood or drywall
If you suspect mold, don't disturb the area. Mold spores can easily spread through the air where you may breathe them in, or where they can easily migrate to other parts of your home or business.
The Remediation Process
Once you spot or suspect mold in your building, call a professional right away. They will identify the trouble areas and go over a mold remediation plan with you. Steps in this remediation plan will likely include:
- An inspection and damage assessment: this will include a thorough visual search, as well as using various technologies that can detect mold and hidden moisture;
- Containment: it is critical to keep the mold contained in one area, and there are various ways of preventing the spread of mold spores.
- Air filtration: in the contained area, “air scrubbers” that will filter spores out of the air are set up.
- Removing mold and infested materials: the area will be thoroughly cleaned with antifungal and antimicrobial cleaning agents; some mold infestations will require the removal of severely infested articles, such as drywall or carpeting.
- Cleaning belongings and surrounding surfaces: while hard surfaces are relatively easy to clean, furniture and other belongings may need to be disinfected in other ways, and deodorized by fogging.
- Restoration: we will restore the area to the way it was before the damage occurred.
Get Professional Help Immediately
Once you suspect mold, finding the right company to tackle the problem is critical. Don’t try to resolve the problem yourself: when it comes to mold, going the DIY route may end up making the situation worse. The longer you wait, the more complex the remediation and restoration process becomes.
Get your mold problem solved quickly and thoroughly. At SERVPRO of Coeur d'Alene, we're pleased to be the trusted leader in clean-up and restoration in our community. If you spot or suspect mold in your home or business, contact SERVPRO of Coeur d'Alene today—we're close by and ready to respond!